We are so thankful for an incredible team of Student Missions Directors and student leaders through the North American Division who help recruit, process, and support hundreds of Student Missionary volunteers each year. This section is a collection of resources specifically to assist our Student Missions Directors and their teams. For questions, feel free to contact our office.
- Long-Term Missions Manual
- What-Ifs for Student Missions Coordinators
- Re-Entry Retreat Facilitator's Manual
- A Guide to Short-Term Mission Service
Here are the basic steps you will need help guide your long-term student missionaries (SMs) through:
1. SM chooses a call (this can be ongoing in the process)
2. SM completes online application
3. SM completes background check (coming soon)
4. SM completes forms
5. Screening SM
6. SM completes background check with Verified Volunteers.
7. SM completes missions preparation training
8. Coordinator approves SM
9. Approval process - check your email
10. Fundraising, visa, ticket, insurance
11. Support SM in preparations
12. Support Returned SMs
For more detailed information, download this PowerPoint presentation:
*If you would like a physical copies of any of these, please contact our office and we will be happy to send what you need.
This checklist can be helpful to make sure each volunteer has completed the application process. You may have other steps to add for your program, but this covers the AVS requirements. It also includes some tips and explanations about each form (on the second page).
AVS APPLICATION FORMS
These are the basic forms needed to apply.
- Resume (template)
- Release of Liability
- Release of Liability (Self-Funded)*
- Confidential Reference**
- Health Clearance
*Only needed in rare cases when mission site does not cover the cost of insurance.
**This can be completed electronically from the online application as well.
If you have a married couple serving, and only one will be volunteering, then the other one is considered a "dependent spouse" and will need to complete the Spouse Forms.
BACKGROUND CHECKS &
CHILD PROTECTION TRAINING
- All long-term Student Missionaries are required to complete the background check and child protection training through Verified Volunteers.
- You may refer your SM's who are applying to this link on our website for the link and info on registering for the background check and training: http://www.hesaidgo.org/verified-volunteers
Your student missionaries will be covered by Accident and Sickness insurance for volunteers by Adventist Risk Management. Usually the calling organization (mission site) takes care of this cost, but a few places ask the volunteer to cover this cost. Because ARM will not bill individuals for ASV insurance, the bill goes to the university program. We will always ask for confirmation for our records that your program is willing to accept the bill for the SM.
For claim forms and information on what to do if your volunteer needs medical help or has a travel emergency, including loss of personal items, please see the Medical Emergency page.